External USB Drive non-boot

Brian DeLacey bdelacey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 05:01:57 BST 2008

It appears that the intermittent booting problems I was encountering with my
previous 2.5" external USB drive were due to an electrical power shortfall.
I bought a new 2.5" SimpleTech external USB drive and my Ubuntu booting
problems have all gone away.

This new 2.5" drive (SimpleTech Portable Drive, 5400 RPM, 160Gig) boots
quickly and cleanly into 8.04 - and it is still small and compact. The
SimpleTech comes with a double-dongle - an "all-in-one high speed USB 2.0 Y
cable". The second USB connector on this cable is there to just draw
additional power if needed. The drive also provides a connector for an
external power supply if needed. However, I haven't needed any of the extra
power options - this drive works fine for me with just one USB connection.
It makes a great portable Ubuntu.

SimpleTech clearly has figured out how to handle these power problems and
they've provided a good solution. It's nice they supply the Y cable in case
more power is needed. Their larger capacity pocket-sized drives also have
the same power/connection features.

Brian