Registering as a Nonprofit

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 25 03:47:48 BST 2008

This was on the agenda for the meeting but we didn't get to talk about it--

Registering as a nonprofit makes it easier to collect donations. I'd love to
have Google checkout/Paypal buttons on the website for donations

wikihow has an article on how to do this
http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-501c3-Nonprofit-Organization

TL:DR

   - Formulate a mission statement (which we basically have already: The
   Ubuntu Massachusetts Local Community Team is a group of volunteers and
   activists organized around the Ubuntu operating system. We advocate digital
   rights <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DigitalRights> and
freedom<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DigitalFreedom>and promote Ubuntu as a
means of achieving this.)
   - Form a board of directors
   - File articles of incorporation
   - Draft bylaws (does the ubuntu Code of Conduct count?)
   - Develop a budget
   - Develop a record-keeping system
   - File for 501(c)(3) status
   - Apply for a federal employer identification number
   - File for state and local tax exemption
   - Fulfill charitable solicitation law requirements
   - Apply for a nonprofit mailing permit