FOSS Video Games

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 24 19:03:44 BST 2008

Well i see how FOSS games can be good, but i guess what i'm looking for is
why a company like EA, Ubisoft, Valve, etc. would want to make FOSS games.
How could they change their business model to profit from making FOSS games?
Games have become really advanced despite requiring a heavy investment in
coding and it seems the proprietary software model has worked very well for
games. Assuming games stay the way they do (install it and play it off your
computer) not any alternative that is online and played at conventions, how
could FOSS games be a successful business? Free software can be sold, but
most people will get the games for free, right?