FOSS Video Games

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 09:39:35 BST 2008

A few answers:

The Ideal: The value of any work is in the work being done; people
must learn to pay for people to do things. To invest in action. Once
your actions are paid for by investment you can create anything
without needing to licence it under a restrictive license. People will
not want to invest in untrustworthy sources so reputation is
important. Creating a portfolio of work for free can build that
reputation.

The Code: The source code to a game, the engine; is often a part which
uses very similar ideas and methods to most other games. Almost all
source code to any game should be made free software simple to
increase efficiency and sell he game on it's main points: Game Play
and Content. Having existing code to make games allows content
creators to make games without a large investment in software coding.

The Media: There is going to be look and feel as well as graphics, ui,
texture maps, models, icons, stories, concepts, game mechanics which
are all a part of the game play. To make any of these free software
they either must be individual insignificant parts (such as a tree or
a bunny) or they must be released on a game genera restrictive license
(you can reuse and derive so long as the result is not in the same
genera)

The Alternative: Creating a game which accesses a service (such as an
online version) or a game which is hosted at GameCons, or an
advertising model are all ways in which game investment helps other
industries. those industries could themselves invest the money in
creating free software games which would in turn benefit their own
business.

If the business and financial industries would allow people to invest
into content projects we would have much more successful media
industry. Companies and individuals that created good content would be
rewarded. Those that seek to earn massive amounts of money for no work
would not be able to earn a living.

Best Regards, Martin Owens