Configuring Samba to access shared folders

Dan Allen goattuber at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 18:06:26 GMT 2008

At the last installfest, Martin and I had some trouble getting Samba to work
correctly on a couple boxes. After installing Samba and setting up a shared
folder, you could see it on the network but still couldn't access it. It
would ask for a password, and no matter what we tried, we couldn't get in. I
had set Samba up on my home machine a couple years ago and haven't had any
trouble with it since, so of course I totally forgot any extra steps I had
to take in order to get it working.

One of the people I recently helped switch over to Ubuntu still has a couple
Windows boxes on the network (his in-laws live downstairs). He could access
shared folders on their computers, but they couldn't get to his, and it was
really bugging him. Today I found this guide to get Samba up and running
correctly:

http://www.europe.eclipse.co.uk/Ubuntu/Ubuntu-on-win-network.htm

Now he can get to his shared folders from the other Ubuntu and Windows boxes
on the network. Hope this helps anyone else that's struggled with this.

- Dan