Ubuntu 7.10 with nvidia 880gts

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 19:19:37 GMT 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 4:00 AM,  Daniel Ryan <ryanfam at delhitel.net> wrote:
> Hey not sure how to submit a question,last release i had installed
> ubuntu 7.10 on this machine- Intel d955xcs mother board,pent. D 3.4
> processer,nvidia 7300 gs,4 gb of ram. I had later did an upgrade to the
> machine and changed to nvidia 8800gts and added 2 more gb or ram. It
> would not boot after so tryed  to reinstall ubuntu 7.10 but got no
> screen for live cd,tryed safe mode still no good. I am assuming that it
> had something to do with runing live cd for the install. I can get
> sabayon and opensuse to work on it but would rather get ubuntu to run on
> it as the other machines in my home are ubuntu. So my question is will
> the new ubuntu 8.04 ahve the drivers to run live so i can install? I
> have not had much luck trying to contact ubuntu and though if you could
> pass this along.

You should be able to boot the Ubuntu LiveCD using the "Safe Mode"
option at the boot screen.  If not, there is always the Ubuntu
Alternative install CD, which is the text-based installer.  After you
get either one of those installed, and once you are in Ubuntu and it
is installed just fine, do this...

$ sudo restricted-manager

Then check the box for your nvidia card and the driver will be
installed for you.  Good luck :-)
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."