upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

Brian DeLacey bdelacey at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 20:00:18 BST 2008

I attempted to upgrade a Dell Inspiron 530N - originally purchased with an
earlier version of Ubuntu - to 8.04 LTS. It was running Ubuntu 7.10
previously without any problem.

I clicked on the UI element that indicated a new upgrade was available. The
upgrade process proceeded easily enough, downloading files etc., but now the
system does not reboot into the GUI.

Instead, I just receive an unending list of error messages in a full
terminal screen (preceeded by a note about BusyBox) like this:

ata2.00: status: { DRDY. }
ata2.0 exception Emask 0x0 ASct ....
ata2.00: cmd a0/00:00:00:24:00 ....

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas? Have other people done the full
upgrade cleanly? Do I need to do a clean reinstall from a fresh CD?

Thanks for any ideas,
Brian