Puzzle to solve

Brian DeLacey bdelacey at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 19:16:24 BST 2008

Good idea ... I'll check the drivers that 7.10 boots with ... Thanks.

Also, I dropped in another audio card from a machine that was working to see
if that does the trick. I'll also try the "system ->preferences -> sound"
tweak. (My machine is actually a Dell 8300 Dimension - not the 9300 as I had
previously typed...)

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 1:50 PM, John Abreau <jabr at blu.org> wrote:

> Boot it again with the same LiveCD as before, verify that sound is working
> correctly, then check what driver it's using, what IRQ, etc.
>
> Then you can tweak the settings to match on the installed system.
>

> On Fri, April 18, 2008 1:33 pm, Brian DeLacey said:
> > I have an older Dell 9300. It has a Dell/Soundblaster sound card in it
> (SB
> > Live! Value ) This card, based upon a web search, is known to have
> > problems.
> >
> > Here's the puzzle: It worked fine when I did a pre-test of this machine
> > using a "Live CD" session from the 7.10 CD.Things booted up fine and
> sound
> > played (much to my surrise.) However, when I installed the 4/17/80 daily
> > build, sound no longer works.
> >
> > Any suggestions, possible causes or work-arounds? Thanks for any ideas.
> >
> > --
> > Brian
> >
> > --
> > believed to be clean.
> >
> > --

> John Abreau / Executive Director, Boston Linux & Unix
> IM: jabr at jabber.blu.org / abreauj at AIM / abreauj at Yahoo / zusa_it_mgr at Skype
> Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9
> PGP-Key-Fingerprint 72 FB 39 4F 3C 3B D6 5B E0 C8 5A 6E F1 2C BE 99

> believed to be clean.

Brian