Windows CDs for recovery purposes

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 13:05:46 BST 2007

> Using Windows recovery cd's does not require a license. I will be bringing a
> few of these myself in case we need them. XP Home, Pro and OEM of both.

OK just for the record Mike: The Windows Recovery and Installation CDs
are Copyright Microsoft; the law states that a copyright holder has
all right reserved which means that without a license grant or public
domain statement the media requires a license weather you like it or
not. If you bought a non OEM version then I believe you have a
license, but no one else does and you have to be damn careful to read
the terms since I have no idea if the CDs are per machine coded in
some way.

> The server i'll be bringing has about 100gigs of space on it without the
> Ubuntu iso's I plan on downloading which shouldn't be too much. I'll also be
> bringing at least a couple hard drives with a usb enclosure to do backups if
> need be. I have a couple 250's i'll be bringing. Not to mention my 60GB ipod
> and some other random hard drives. If anyone else has any usb hard drive
> enclosures, it might be helpful to bring them. I'll probably invest in buying
> a few down the road. They're useful for backups and for recovering data off of
> hard drives from someone's pc.

I was looking at tying Bacula to Avahi together last night, Bacula is
a very complex system and I'm looking for a guiding hand in creating
the code required to get zeroconf backups to work.

Best regards, Martin Owens