Compiz enabled by default in 7.10

Matt Nicholson sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com
Fri Sep 14 15:04:04 BST 2007

This dovetails with the bullet-proof-x spec they came up with. Compiz
willonly be enabled by default if your hardware can do it. if you have an
ATI/NVIDIA that needs propietary drivers, it won't be enabled untill they
get installed. Also, as part of the bullet-proof-x spec, if X won't start
for some reason, the failsafe session launches the new display manager,
which lets you, ina very simple way, choose your video driver(or just the
card type etc) and monitor, and will re-write your xorg.conf for you.

I see this as a nice default feature for those that can run it, and, for
those that can't, it shouldn't get in your way, since if your card can't do
composite,  copiz will simply not be enabled.