Gutsy Release Party

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 06:37:21 BST 2007

> How about the "Computer Clubhouse" at the Museum of Science?

Could be good. Great tie in. I like it. Be sure to get their
inclusive-parking deal there.

Site is excellent since has both (T) and easy-off-highway parking,
with easy directions from all compass points. (E51 is best I've seen
for that, aside from MOS, in comparison to other MIT, BU, NU buildings
I've used for meetings with out-of-town attendees, these are two best,
followed by CC/Kendall Sq Marriott, parking not typically
free/inclusive.)

[I just regret The Computer Museum Boston moving to the left coast...
*sigh* their walking computer would have been awesome venue.]
[ showing my age again, sorry.]

other thoughts ...

Maybe more for future Software Freedom Day, we might invoke local
history in our cause with Boston Freedom Trail locations. Not sure
what it costs to rent Fanueil Hall itself, probably not cheap anymore.
The comedy club in Quincy Market dome may rent cheaper on weeknights?
Nearby, Union Oyster and Durgin Park have history and function rooms,
but lousy/marginal disabled access.

The pool halls in Kendall, Faneuil Hall, & Kenmore have all been used
for launch parties of various sorts (for $$).

If the Red Sox have a home post-season play on "our day", we'll be
rearranging at the last minute. The city is a madhouse. Good reason to
avoid Kenmore Sq area at least including Mass Ave from river/Beacon to
Symphony.

Fairly traditional in Boston is to rent a party boat, they come in all
sizes and most budgets.

If we get serious sponsorship w/o a venue tied to it, I can provide
contacts with Seaport Hotel / World Trade Center function planners
(they're a sister company, and I'm co-located with them). The kitchens
do a great job, and the views can be spectacular on the water.
   Likewise, all hotels and most universities have event planners too;
the Uni's /may/ charge less than hotels, but not as much as you'd
think, since they don't expect to nick at least some of the guests for
a swank room. If the hotel has a function room and staff un-booked for
near term date, it may be well off list price.

Several of the old-fashioned Diners in the area have small function
rooms in the back.
* Victory (Mass Ave by South Bay) does, nice new menu, we like the staff;
* Rosebud (Davis Sq) does, traditional;
* others?

--
Bill