attempting use of KVM switch a disaster

Dan Allen goattuber at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 22:42:32 GMT 2007

I had this same sort of problem when I set my computers up through a USB KVM
switch. It would ignore my preference for 1280x1024 and use 800x600 instead.
The problem seemed to be that through the KVM, Ubuntu couldn't detect the
proper refresh rate, so it would failover to the default settings. Try
editing your xorg.conf and only use the resolution you want with the correct
refresh rate for your monitor, that's what fixed it for me.

From: George E Noon <george.noon at comcast.net>

When I tried to use the Ubuntu machine with the KZM attached, it