attempting use of KVM switch a disaster1

jw cyb3rj at comcast.net
Sat Oct 27 12:42:49 BST 2007

George,

Take a look at these two links:

http://trentrichardson.com/?p=14
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280683&page=2

While no one at those links indicated they were using a KVM switch, they
did discover some nuances with the 940BW.

I've had a pile (maybe a heap) of issues with my SyncMaster 204B {1}.
Samsung apparently doesn't like to use the standard timings for
horizontal and vertical refresh rates.  This requires some special
settings to get things to play nicely.  There is a chance that your
monitor works well connected directly to your machine, but connecting it
to the KVM might draw out these nuances.

Of course, be sure to save your xorg.conf file before making any changes.

{1} I was having issues with snow and blanking.  Even the no-blank
settings for the monitor wern't working at one point.  I -just- upgraded
to Gutsy (64bit) last night, and have high hopes.

__
JW

Message: 10