Meetings

Theresa Hepburn theresa.hepburn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 17:33:31 BST 2007

Hey all,

After being a part of two ma-ubuntu meetings I've decided that although
our meetings are effective, I think we could accomplish the same amount
in less time if we tried something a little different. I've noticed that
people often need to repeat themselves because we have a lot of
simultaneous talking going on. I know no one intends for that to happen
but it's very common when a general question is asked of a group. This
situation is also frustrating when comments aren't heard so another
person will make an identical remark not long afterwards on the same topic.

In the past I've dealt with this sort of situation by playing a sort of
talking game. At the "official" start of the meeting we designate some
small easy to hand-off/throw object as the talking pass, say, a tennis
ball. Our benevolent dictator that is Martin begins with the tennis ball
until a member of the meeting indicates that he would like to speak,
generally by raising his hand or some sort of gesture. If Martin feels
it is an appropriate point in the meeting then he will pass the ball off
to the person who wants to say something. This person can then choose
the next person to say/ask something.

I know it's silly but this is a great way to not only give everyone the
respect they deserve when they're speaking but also stifles the
superfluous and ridiculous comments that I make all of the time.

Ultimately, it's our leader's decision to implement this or not but I
figured I'd at least throw the idea on the table.

Theresa