Upgrade/Update Manager problem -- well I have the problem..........

Aaron Haviland orion at parsed.net
Thu Oct 25 02:57:52 BST 2007

Brian Fallik wrote, on Oct 24, 2007 at 17:58 EDT:
> Have you seen this?
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/102511

> On 10/24/07, George E Noon <george.noon at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I, frankly do not understand why the error -- if you go to
> > http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/feisty-security/main/binary-i386/ and look, right there as the first item under the parent directory is
> > Packages.bz2 --- so I really do not understand why there is some problem
> > fetching the needed package(s)....
> > Perhaps someone with more understanding could explain and perhaps
> > contribute to a fix for this problem; as i sure there must be some
> > already working on the problem (I certainly hope)...

As far as I can tell, apt's behaviour with this *is* fixed in Gutsy, as
it only warns about having a duplicate sources.list entry, but doesn't
fail on it. Debian etch's version of apt does have the bug.

According to apt's changelog, it was fixed in 0.7.1, which is
post-feisty, and pre-gutsy.

As for what is introducing the duplicate lines, I've no idea, but if you
can upgrade apt, then everything else should fall in line.

Personally, I always prefer to upgrade apt, dpkg, and libc6 first, and
then let the rest go in the next run, when doing a large upgrade like
this.

# apt-get install apt dpkg libc6

It will pull in a few other things, but this will get the core stuff up.

I find it's always important to get the latest version of apt and dpkg
installed before trying to make it deal with new dependancy fields added
into the newer distribution, as an older apt might have a bug regarding
a conflict, or not understand how to deal with something. Or a duplicate
line in the sources.list :)

Anyway, the issue now is that even if they fix the bug, people who are
experiencing it will still have to either edit their sources.list to
remove the duplicates, or upgrade apt manually.

--
Aaron Haviland
34 Wayne Ave, Dudley, MA                       home:  [508] 943 - 7974