Upgrade/Update Manager problem -- well I have the problem..........

George E Noon george.noon at comcast.net
Wed Oct 24 07:42:24 BST 2007

I seem to be having a rather annoying problem which keeps popping up and
doesn't wish to go away [lucky me]: I installed Ubuntu Feisty -- as I
posted here a while ago. Also, I got the Linksys Router all set up and
its just great. I ran Check in Update Manager, got 129 update packages,
which i downloaded & Installed [or, rather, Update Manager did] - then I
ran Check again, and the result was - my system was listed as fully
up-to-date, and it displayed the notice "New Distribution Release '7.10'
is available", with an Upgrade button. When I've clicked this Upgrade
button [done so several times on several occasions - at different
times], I've gotten the following, most often the same line repeated

http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/feisty-security/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2:Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)

I even attempted to use the update manager & 'feed it' the ver 7.10 CD I
bought from The Linux Store.ca --- but from there, I could not figure
how to begin the install. I am still so woefully unfamiliar with Linux's
file system, and I am hesitant to really screw it up if I can avoid it.

My other issue resulted in attempting to run the upgrade by rather
reinstalling the newer version atop the old one. Well the first thing I
got presented with is that my LCD Monitor [a Samsung SyncMaster 940BW]
is  evidently no longer supported, though it evidently was in Feisty, or
was just automatically set up OK..... Or perhaps it really isn't the
monitor but the BFG Tech NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 256-MB DDR2 SLI Graphics
Card that is not well supported --- though whichever it is,  was pretty
well-recieved by Feisty Fawn.

Any suggestions (please be kind)	;)
~~~~~~~~~George

--