Making a single disk Gnu/Linux $HOME survive re-installation

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 12:58:31 BST 2007

> > http://world.std.com/~wdr/varlocalhome-howto.html
> > Comments?

> cp -a (alias for -dpR) instead of just cp -pr? Easier to remember, and
> it preserves symlinks

Great comment. Accepted, changed.

> Other than that, I cannot think of anything. I was going to argue
> /usr/local/ vs /var/local/ but the more I think about it, /var makes
> more sense
> I just have to stop playing around with /usr/local/src so much :P

Right, should use *apt*/dpkg to manage /usr, then you can do the dpkg
save/restore trick to get back all the installs (that aren't
contraindicated -- do a test to see what of new release it might have
to uninstall !!).  If someone knows a good how-to on-line for that
trick, I should link to that.

Any other comments?

What is a good permanent home for this?

BILL