release party was great!

George Ernest Noon george.noon at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 16:37:11 BST 2007

	I thought the release party held last evening
at the Globe was great. I didn't really know anyone,
as I am still quite new to this OS, and by nature
somewhat cautious --- also, I don't tend to be very
pushy in making new acquaintances...
	This was actually my second foray into an
organized group of Linux users -- the first was the
Software Freedom Day get  together held in Chinatown,
Boston - last month, i believe.
	Initially, i would have had my son along, but
as he's now assistant manager of the Convenience Store
he works at, in Middleboro MA, and someone had called in
sick, he had to cover the time himself. Also, a friend from
Freetown had originally planned on attending with us,
but he had to meet with a couple of roofing contractors,
to arrange getting a new roof done on his home.
	Was a bit surprised to be probably the oldest one
in attendance; I don't know why that should be, after all,
I know hat a big time University locale the Boston area is -
I guess I just there would be a greater number of longer
experienced computer users there - [an attempt to avoid
saying oldest, again] looking toward getting free of that
ever-so-costly, non-freedom-embracing OS from Redmond WA!
	Any way' friends, thanks for a great time -- will be
on the lookout for other get togethers, and getting my new
computer set up with Ubuntu - first with Feisty, then after
I've settled in with it a bit, I'll upgrade to Gutsy; hopefully,
by then, it will have support for USB --- otherwise the upgrade
would sort of leave me input-crippled: my Kensington Expert
Mouse Trackball and Gigaware (dvorak-ized) Keyboard are both
USB types, as is a 40GB external portable HD I use. I really don't
understand why the Gutsy team would have opted not to support USB.
Hopefully, perhaps the reports to that effect are in error.
~~~~George Noon [Whitman MA]