Fwd: Gutsy Release Candidate (Caleb Marcus)

Cam Cope maccam94 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 15:51:56 BST 2007

I would just like to state my positions on which version of Ubuntu to
install, from the mailing list I don't find it very clear what others are
thinking.

Dapper Drake 6.06: Only for servers.
Feisty Fawn 7.04: Most computers
Gutsy Gibbon 7.10: Only for advanced users, or users with specific hardware
issues in 7.04 that are fixed in 7.10.

Just to clarify, Feisty is stable, Dapper's LTS status only means that it
continues to get updates (not necessarily the latest software), and Gutsy is
almost stable (if not stable).

I have no problem installing Gutsy on machines of people that have a decent
amount of computing experience. The actual release is going to be less than
a week away, so it is essentially done, and I doubt there will be any major
bugs. However, it is still not officially released, which means there is the
possibility of problems cropping up.

One of my main concerns about this installfest is that it is RIGHT before a
new version is coming out, and that new users may have issues upgrading
their systems just a week after getting started. We should probably set give
them some methods of contacting us, as well as configuring Pidgin to open an
IRC support channel automatically when it is run.