Fwd: Gutsy Release Candidate

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.us
Fri Oct 12 14:56:40 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 23:33 -0400, Brian Fallik wrote:
> I intend on using my best judgment when making recommendations to our
> guests.

FYI, I upgraded my system last night to Gutsy RC1 and there are still
some serious rough edges; I ran into this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evms/+bug/115616

This is a VERY serious bug that has been around since May, and even
though it is marked as "Fix Released" it is still there (since I ran
into it last night 2-3 more people have also reported it still happens
with RC1); it will cause your system to not boot at all, or maybe (as in
my case) boot but not be able to mount all your partitions (so I had
no /home directory).  This is not a rare problem: in addition to the
many people reporting in this bug itself there are ~20 duplicate bugs
that are closed and if you search the Ubuntu forums there are many
people having the same issue.

The workaround is to remove all "evms" packages by hand then reboot.

It might only happen to people who have upgraded from Dapper, so fresh
installs shouldn't have to worry.  Nevertheless, something to keep in
mind if anyone is going to be doing Gutsy work this weekend.

Hope they get this fixed for the release, or it will be very bad.

The other rough edge is that I tried to enable the compiz bling and
although it worked fine, it caused all of my windows to have no
decoration (no title bar, resize borders, close/minimize/maximize
buttons, etc.)  I turned it off again and metacity came back and still
works fine.

Just FYI...