Installfest ideas

Jason M Normand jay at lentecs.com
Mon Oct 8 14:32:34 BST 2007

Brian DeLacey wrote:
> If there's interest, I'd be glad to give a lightning talk on
> developing graphical applications with Ubuntu.
>
> In 15 minutes or less, I could give a short intro to the NetBeans IDE,
> demonstrating a program written in Ruby with Swing as the graphical
> user interface (all on Gutsy.) Since the whole thing runs on top of
> Java, it also works (without any code changes) on other operating
> systems.
sounds good to me brian.

we should have some kind of demonstration of aptitude and the vast
amount of software available.  i suspect one of the things that turns a
lot of people off is not seeing any "linux" software when they walk in
to local stores.  And for people really using linux for the first time
most likely don't know how competitive the basics really are.
Demonstrations of open office, thunderbird, gimp, vlc, games, etc.  plus
a talk about wine would be good.  Let people know there are alternatives
to ms and adobe and they are easy to install.  I am willing to cover
some of this some help would not hurt.

--
Jason M Normand

the Geek Touch - a helping hand for high tech
http://www.theGeekTouch.com

Ubuntu MA LoCo Team
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MassachusettsTeam