$200 Ubuntu PC now @ Walmart

Thomas Cameron tom at drdabbles.us
Sat Nov 3 06:05:01 GMT 2007

I think you misunderstand what I mean. By throw-away, I mean it is
usually cheaper to replace the entire machine than it is to replace a
failed component. This is typical of the e-machines that companies like
Best Buy used to sell. Usually the $200 to $300 PC is assembled from
very low quality parts, or very limited function parts (slow CD-ROM,
slow RAM, etc.) to keep costs down.

Essentially, what I am saying here is that while these systems are more
than adequate for surfing, email, and general productivity suites, you
should be very careful about suggesting them to someone that can't
afford to buy another in the event of a problem. And, of course, none of
this is to say I'm unhappy that Linux is being sold in Wal-Mart again.
And I couldn't be happier that it's Ubuntu!