InstallFest

Rob robert.vandyk at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 07:12:19 GMT 2007

Team,

Sucks that the snow canceled the last meeting.  Though, since the next
meeting of the UbuntuMass Team isn't for another 4 weeks... I would like to
bounce an idea and get your opinion for the next InstallFest.

I posted in the Forum... so if you could reply there instead of Reply All
here...

In my wanderings, I have discovered a musical group in the Boston area
> called "Convey". The reason I like them is (a) they are good, and (b)
> distribute their music digitally with Creative Commons license through
> Jamendo. This is appealing because CC is to artists and performers what
> F/OSS is to software engineers and computer users.
>
> So... I e-mailed them, and they expressed interest in playing during the
> upcoming Fest. Would a couple other people support this and help me work out
> the technical details, and such? Since I have never been to a Fest before...
> I am not sure how things would be setup in regards to staging and
> scheduling.
>
> BTW... d/l their music from their site. http://www.conveymusic.com and
> check out their gig at All Asia in Cambridge on Dec 15.

So, I met the band today and saw them perform.  They put on a good show.
Their music style is rock, but in a pinch their lead singer played the
keyboards in more of a mellow folkish tone.  It was definitely good to
listen to... and some live tunes would certainly enhance the atmosphere (and
possibly even draw a bigger crowd) at the Fest.

Basically... my goal is (a) to see responses that people on the UbuntuMass
Team support this, (b) to promote a good band that embraces free culture and
community, (c) to get a bigger draw at the InstallFest, and (d) to earn some
money selling merchandise (tee-shirts, CDs, bumper stickers) for both the
band and the UbuntuMass Team.

Look forward to your responses,
Rob