Ubuntu in Newton North/South High School

Caleb Marcus caleb.marcus at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 03:23:54 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 22:10 -0500, Danny Piccirillo wrote:

> So i have a computer set up at Newton North with Ubuntu on it and i'll
> be collecting feedback from students with the Tech Department Head. He
> suggested that i give a talk/demo for interested students and faculty
> so i thought, why not take this to the next level? I'd like to plan a
> presentation along with Caleb (who goes to Newton South) and possibly
> have someone come in and speak about Ubuntu in schools. Why school
> should be running open source, and focus on the benefits for users
> (although the developer standpoint is important, it won't mean much to
> the school staff).
>
> If someone would be willing to come in to give this presentation and
> answer questions, Caleb and i could take on the easier task of doing
> some follow-up demos to show what Ubuntu can do.
> The IT people at North are already interested in Open Source/Free
> Software and we could invite people from South to get them interested
> as well. We might actually be able to push for getting some real
> Ubuntu computers in the schools and paying for training a few people
> to help out.

I think perhaps it would be best if this could be arranged for after the
school day (after J/X block ends at 3:20) 'cause even during J block
teachers will have to be in their classrooms and students will be all
over the place... also, I probably can't get to North from South fast
enough to make it there before J/X block is over.