Proposition

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 18:37:22 GMT 2007

> I never volunteered.  I asked if there were standards in place and, if not,
> could we make some.

No you wish to know what the rules are so that a) You can help make
some rules if there aren't some already, hopefully rules which are to
your liking and b) so you can use the rules to give yourself some
authority to tell people off for not following you own style guide
lines.

I'm not about to let anyone on this mailing list or in the irc channel
have the authority to do such an important job as guiding new users as
to what the best practices are. In time people who are skilled in this
area will step forwards. So for now any rules in the politeness set
will not be enforced until further discussion on the best methods to
do so.

> Red herring.  I'm not making any judgements on someone's moral constitution.
>  You, however seem to be.

We do not on the whole attack people for politeness violations, i
don't know what kind of community you've come from but you must learn
to conduct yourself more appropriately for this one. This means that
only moral judgements (those offending, insulting or attacking others)
will be dealt with by any member as they should be. Being rude isn't a
capital crime and I won't see it being made into one.

> I am pro-smiling, pro-sunshine.  I am anti-sadness and anti-frowning.
>
> I think everyone is "against rudeness".

Rudeness is just a difference in the way people conduct themselves in
a community causing conflict; this is why for instance I consider you
to be rude, but I'm willing to work with you to make sure we have no
more conflicts of understanding.

Best Regards, Martin owens