Contact with PC Mag about Ubuntu

Brian DeLacey bdelacey at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 02:36:24 BST 2007

I like the idea of standard C, python, java etc. tests - we could also do
Ruby tests, which run on all three platforms.

I bought one of the Dell Ubuntu PCs and really like it. I converted another
Dell over to Ubuntu without any problems, thanks to the generous help of
some Ubuntu MA folks :)

Maybe they could also interview some people - get their sense of comparative
experiences on all three platforms.

On 8/28/07, Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I find it hard to believe that their benchmarking for Mac OSX is done
> through a windows emulation; talk about crap data.
>
> To do any sort of benchmarking fairly they will have to develop
> platform neutral tests; although what benchmarking is to be done is a
> little moot since Linux and windows both run on the same hardware and
> linux will be faster than kernel32 at any io cat-cal you care to do.
>
> I don't suggest you mention this Cam, I'm just posting this as a
> personal response.
>
> As for extras, I recommend developing some C, python or java based
> tools for testing all 3 platforms fairly. I'd mention that it' unfair
> to exclude other operating systems because of lack of benchmarking
> ability when the  playing field is so uneven.
>
> Perhaps theythought you would want a hardware comparison from the
> standpoint of the ubuntu dell machines?
>
> On 28/08/07, Cam Cope <maccam94 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here's my draft reply to the e-mail response I got. Read the messages
> from
> > the bottom up, and then let me know if you think I should make any
> > additions/revisions. I'll send the message tonight around 10:30.
> >
> >  Hi, thanks for the fast reply.
> >
> > I have a couple of suggestions. You can do a basic feature comparison,
> since
> > it isn't really numbers that people care about. People care about
> > functionality. What setup does it require? What maintenance does it
> > require?. How well does it handle office formats? How well and how
> easily
> > does it perform day to day tasks (internet, email, listening to music,
> etc)?
> > I think that's what most of your readers care about.
> >
> > If you really need benchmarks, there are some cross-platform options.
> You
> > can use the fps rate from cross-platform games like the Unreal
> Tournament
> > demo for hard numbers (It might do well to compare the games running in
> > Linux to the games running in Windows in both the OpenGL and DirectX
> modes).
> >
> > On 8/28/07, Cheng, Cisco <Cisco_Cheng at ziffdavis.com > wrote:
> > >

> > > Cam ,
> > >

> > > You have a good point. The problem from my end is acquiring and
> > formulating benchmarks that are comparable to Mac and Windows systems.
> With
> > the Mac, at least it runs Windows, which is the platform I use for all
> my
> > testing. We can certainly review it from an anecdotal standpoint, but I
> > rather have a viable testing suite in place. I'll address this to my
> team,
> > and hopefully we can furnish an Ubuntu laptop and desktop review
> shortly.
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > > Cisco

Brian