New England InstallFest

mel at melchua.com mel at melchua.com
Tue Aug 21 17:20:04 BST 2007

Trying to remember which room was E51... will we need a lot of extension
cords? Is there a projector available (for demos and "hey, your screen
should look like this" things) or can we bring some in? Is the
traffic/noise-level there manageable enough that people can concentrate
on their installs, and that simultaneous conversations can happen in the
space without it getting too physically or auditorily crowded? If yes,
I'd say go for it.

Alternate location, albeit a little more out of the way: Andy Barry's
(finally) starting up an LUG at Olin College and could probably easily
grab a classroom or two anytime (takes approx. 5 minutes to reserve a
room at Olin from "hey, we should get a room!" to "we have a room!") if
he filed it under a club event.

Main academic building is right by the parking lot; if that's not close
enough there's a ramp around back you can pull up to that gets you
directly into the second floor. Campus is ridiculously wired; in
addition to Ridiculous Amounts Of Wireless, about half the classrooms
have ethernet & power ports coming from either the ceiling or the floor
every 3-4 feet. Can easily fit 30-40+ people. Moveable chairs & tables.
Projectors. All it lacks for an installfest is people, really.

Disadvantage: 2 miles from the nearest public transport stop (needham
center and/or wellesley hills, iirc, Eliot is the closest Green Line
stop). 1000 Olin Way, Needham MA 02492 if you want to look it up on a
map - about 30 min driving from MIT on a normal day. I think they've
hosted a Python talk (by Allen Downey) on campus before, along with some
other Boston tech events (math conferences, robotics symposiums, etc) so
it's not an utterly unreachable place, but takes more effort for most
than, say, getting to MIT. Advantage: once people arrive, they're more
or less there for the evening; location tends to promote longer stays
and less drifting in & out at random times.

Thought I'd toss that out there, in case reserving a room somewhere else
gets tricky. But MIT sounds like a great (and logical, and more central)
place to hold it.

-Mel