newer packages on ubuntu (pidgin)

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 01:29:55 BST 2007

You can install pidgin from the Gutsy repositories if you really want
it :-)  You see, I run Ubuntu+1 as soon as the first release is
available (to give back to the distro, bugs, etc).  So, I have been
running Gutsy for a while now.  Surprisingly, it is very stable.  When
it does break, you have to know how to fix it for sure.  But usually
this is because you didn't update around a release point, which is
when you should be making such changes.

Another hack is to add the gutsy sources, apt update, install pidgin,
and remove the gutsy repo.  If the upgrade doesn't require a libc
update, you should be fine!  So, there are some hacks for you to try
when you get bored of not having the latest software.  You might even
have better success using Gutsy (ubuntu+1 )as your main distro over
Gentoo's ~x86 :-)

Let me just state for the record that I am still a huge fan of Gentoo.
 I first used it in pre-1.0 days (2001?), and was also doing Linux