Ubuntu presentation for user group?

Jack Daniel jackadaniel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:40:30 BST 2007

Ah yes, define your goals, Jack...

This would be an intro to Linux on the desktop, using Ubuntu as the
distro.  I have some of the group thinking about (and occasionally
even using) Linux as a Windows recovery utility thanks in part to
presentations I have delivered on Knoppix and Helix.  This would be a
"next step", getting a system installed and running some basic apps.
Dealing with NTFS would be good "bonus material".  Basically just
raising the comfort level with Linux in general and Ubuntu in
particular.  These people can get XP and Vista installed in their
sleep, Ubuntu installation will be painless for most of them.

Given that most IT pros are now at least vaguely comfortable with VMs,
I think the ability to run without having to install on bare metal or
deal with partitioning and dual booting should ease the process of
experimentation.  And then there's Wubi, I'm still surprised at how
well it works.

So, Brian and Martin, thanks for starting me off in the right
direction.  I should know by the end of next week if I'm on for
October and will follow up with details.

Thanks
Jack