IRL Meeting

Nathaniel McCallum nathaniel at natemccallum.com
Sat Oct 18 19:17:53 BST 2008

Something fun would be nice once and a while.  However, I have a hard
time justifying time away on a Saturday without anything to be gained
from it.  The merge of LPLUG, etc was a good idea, but I want to make
sure we don't forget that the main purpose of a LUG is to provide a
place of learning.  I can watch a pixar movie at home with my family,
but I can't learn to program, or see what other people are deploying, or
learn about new OSS markets, etc.

LPLUG had regular meetings.  When the topic was scheduled way in
advance, we had great turn out.  When it was done last minute, we
didn't.  We often had technical meetings which were fantastic.  Having
technical meetings being the driving force made the "get together and
watch a movie" all the more fun.

I guess what I'm saying is, lets make a standing meeting whenever (don't
care when).  Lets make it primarily technical in nature and announce the
topic a month in advance.  Then once or twice a year, lets have a fun
time watching a movie or a party or something like that.  I think this
will provide the best benefit to everyone.

Nathaniel