Key signing party details

Eric Lake ericlake at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 4 14:25:19 BST 2007

This Saturday from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM at East Side Technical School in
Lexington. We will be doing pizza and sodas so bring a little $$$ to
chip in.

2208 Liberty Rd Lexington, KY 40509

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=east+side+technical+school&near=Lexington,+KY&ll=38.027752,-84.445971&iwstate1=dir:to&iwloc=A&f=d&daddr=2208+Liberty+Rd,+Lexington,+KY+40509&safe=on

On 10/4/07, Kevin Buley <kevin at buley.org> wrote:
> When/Where?
>
> Steven Walter wrote:
> > Hope everybody can make it to the key signing party!
> >
> > Since probably most of us have never been to one before, I wanted to go
> > over what to expect, how to prepare, what to bring, etc.  The most
> > important thing to bring is yourself, even if you can't bring a
> > computer.  In fact, bringing a computer is almost counter-productive.
> >
> > To prepare, generate a GPG key for yourself.  If you have access to a
> > linux box, this is essentially a matter of "gpg --gen-key".  Once you
> > have your key, you will want to write down on a piece of paper the "Key
> > ID" and the "Key Fingerprint."  The fingerprint looks like the long
> > series of hex digits in my signature.  You should ideally also bring a
> > photo ID.
> >
> > At the party, you'll recieve a paper table.  At the top, you'll write
> > your key ID and your key fingerprint.  While eating your pizza and
> > socializing, you'll go around and add other people's names, key ids, and
> > fingerprints to your table.  You should check their ID, too.  Don't
> > write down their info unless you are sure you of their identity (that
> > is, after all, the whole point of the exercise).
> >
> > At some point during the night, there will be some talks given about the
> > basics of public key cryptography (how it works and what it is good
> > for), as well as practical tips on using crypto.  If you get stuck and
> > can't get a key generated before the party, this part should give you
> > enough info to be able to generate your own key.
> >
> > Note!  You should not at any time during the party use someone's else's
> > computer.  And you probably shouldn't let anyone use your computer,
> > either.  If we all trusted each other, we wouldn't need cryptography :)
> > Wait to do the actual signing after the event.
> >
> > Here's a few links of suggested reading:
> > http://people.debian.org/~stevenk/keysigning.html
> > http://cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/keysigning_party/en/keysigning_party.html

Thanks,

Eric Lake