Ubuntu friendly ISPs

Steven Walter stevenrwalter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 17:19:50 GMT 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 09:19:51PM -0500, Pat Gray wrote:
> Plz help me i need a list of Ubuntu friendly Internet service
> providers and i was hoping you might be able to help me if any of you
> have a list for me i would greatly appreciate it. thanx : )

Probably no ISPs will give you support for Ubuntu (or any other Linux).
That said some are still better than others.  For cable internet, you
basically can't go wrong.  The cable modem looks like any other ethernet
device to Linux, and Linux handles them like a champ.  DSL is better
than dial-up, but setting up PPPoE is an extra hassle that you don't
have to deal with on cable.

Dial-up is actually pretty well supported from a software perspective,
since it has been around the longest.  The problem with DUN is that you
need a modem, and unless you know you have a hardware modem you should
expect trouble.  Most recent modems are "winmodems".  This link might
help: http://linmodems.org

If you have a more specific request, you can try asking and we'll see
what answers we can come up with.
--
-Steven Walter <stevenrwalter at gmail.com>
Freedom is the freedom to say that 2 + 2 = 4