[ubuntu-us-in] Ubuntu-us-in Digest, Vol 49, Issue 1

Simón Ruiz simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 07:04:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Charlie Luna <war.tribe.mc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wish I could make an intelligent sounding comment about what you guys are
> talking about but I constantly find myself stumped with all the types of
> interfaces, if that's what they're called. Unity, gnome, xfce, etc. I'm so
> illiterate with these terms that I have no idea of what looks like what.

Unity is the interface that the default Ubuntu release has used for a
few releases, now.

Before that, it used GNOME 2; there is a GNOME 3 out, now, that looks
quite different than GNOME 2.

There is a project called "Mate" (Mah-teh) that is a fork of GNOME 2
(someone besides the GNOME people taking the code and doing their own
thing with it). Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu, except for their "Linux
Mint Debian Edition", but Ubuntu is based on Debian, FWIW) has a
couple of versions that come with Mate.

Ubuntu also comes in various flavors whose primary difference is the
interface; Kubuntu comes with KDE, Xubuntu comes with XFCE, Lubuntu
comes with LXDE, etc.

Confusing enough? ;-)

> do know I have the newest release for ubuntu: 12.04 lts. There were some
> initial things I didn't like but I've become accustomed to those things and
> don't mind them so much now. I'm not good at knowing how to modify what's
> already in place because one, I don't know how and secondly, if I tried, I
> fear screwing everything up but that isn't a bad thing since I could just
> reinstall everything.

I've also been fairly satisfied with Unity, though I've gone as far as
auto-hiding the dock (Dash -> Appearance -> Behavior). Not much else.

> If I knew more about coding and modifying, id be able
> to comment better but so far I like 12.04 lts on my laptop. Except that I
> keep getting the password prompt for the keyring for some software. I need
> to reinstall my os to see if that goes away.

https://one.ubuntu.com/help/faq/how-do-i-get-rid-of-the-keyring-password-prompt/

HTH,

Simón