[ubuntu-us-in] So, reviews of Unity?

David Ernst david.ernst at davidernst.net
Tue Sep 13 16:00:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:15:20AM -0400, Simón Ruiz wrote:
>My experience with Unity 3D has been pretty good.
>Hardware-wise, I have a beefy video card in a System76 workstation
>with twin 22" wide screen monitors at work, and 3D graphics "Just
>Work" on it pretty excellently.

Cool.  I definitely do not have impressive video card.  lspci says
that it's a "GeForce 6150SE", seems like that should be enough to get
window manager eye candy, but... shrug.  I had a lot of problems with
both gnome and unity in 3d modes.  And I don't care.  :)

>Working with terminals is pretty nice, with all the extra screen real estate.

Agreed, that was my favorite thing about unity.  Browsers too.

>When an icon pops out to wave at me, the whole dock bar doesn't come
>out to cover anything, only when I invoke it with my mouse or the
>"Super" button (Alt-F2 works similarly enough to before to not have
>bothered me too much, so far.

so, just the icon covers things up, rather than the whole bar, eh?
That would be much nicer.

>It has taken me a while to get used to the File, Edit, etc. menus
>being located at the top of the screen, but I adapted fairly easily.

Agreed.  I actually started to like it.

>If I didn't already know all the applications I want to work with,
>it's a lot less intuitive/organized/pretty to browse your installed
>programs than it was in GNOME 2. However, I've adapted quickly to
>hitting the Super key, then beginning to type the app's name, and
>selecting it as it comes up, and find that I don't really miss the
>applications menu.

For things I know and love, I agree, I could get to them pretty
quickly by typing.  Synaptic is again a good example: I don't use it
often enough that it was in my quick list, but it was easy to find
when I needed it.  Things like system settings were annoying to deal
with, though.

>I chose to try out Unity knowing there'd be a little overhead to
>learning a new environment, and I was actually surprised at how
>minimal that overhead has been.

I made the same choice, and was surprised in the other direction.  :)
Might be a question of 2d support not being as strong, though.  Idk.

>Just some random thoughts.

I appreciate your thoughts, and those of everyone else who replied to
my query.  Thank you!