[ubuntu-us-in] So, reviews of Unity?

macbuntu at comcast.net macbuntu at comcast.net
Sun Sep 11 05:47:21 UTC 2011

@David,
First and foremost; remember it is not required to update every 6mo.

In Oneiricr there will be no gnome2 type fallback, but

11.10 comes with Unity 3d and Unity 2d by default. That's it. If you want other gnome3 options, you need to install:

gnome-shell - for gnome shell
gnome-session-fallback for a classic gnome lookalike
Check out: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=403
to keep up with the ongoing changes.

There are big changes going on with the user interface right now, some spectacular, some suspect.
I look upon intermediate releases as experimental and the LTS releases as preferable for those who don't like change, and prefer stability.
I happen to believe that most of the bugs due to the transition to gnome3 will be worked out by 12.04 and Unity should be that much more well polished.
Gnome-shell will be much improved so that option will become more palatable, and it will have a gnome-session-fallback.
Unity 2d is a good option for lesser equipped systems.

All and all the future looks bright, there will be some serious bumps in the road but I remain positive.
There have been many improvements to Unity in 11.10 so you should be pleased with the progress.
Please remember point number one... You don't "have" to upgrade/re-install every release.

I have had for years multiple installs of Ubuntu so I can test the development releases, yet keep my "production" install safe!
I enjoy keeping up what the developers and brain-trust @ Canonical have in mind for us.

Some links:

Good for low spec hardware, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Testing
For navigating Unity,
http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity

Hope this helps, there are always options, sometimes it's not so obvious.

Fun times ahead!

John