[ubuntu-us-in] What's your opinion of Ubuntu 11.10?

Simón Ruiz simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 16:05:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Ryan Hoots <webmaster at ryanhoots.com> wrote:
> I've been using Ubuntu 11.10 for a while, and I sort of like it. Unity has
> been improved, and the login screen looks great. I did have a problem with
> the screen brightness, but it was fixed. I'm wondering, what's your opinion
> of Oneiric Ocelot?
>
> --
> www.ryanhoots.com

Ryan,

So far, I dig it.

I did an in-place upgrade on my primary workstation on release day,
and have been running strong since. I haven't really gone through to
test out any of the new stuff—will probably play with that stuff at
some point—just kept on using it for my daily work.

Pro: Nothing broke during the upgrade, even though I have a
dual-monitor setup and an ATI video card. (I'm weirdly paranoid about
in-place upgrades, perhaps from my days using the world's default OS)
Pro: My HP Color LaserJet 3600 driver suddenly prints with the right
colors. (This broke when I did a complete re-install from 10.10 to
11.04)
I leave my desktop up and running continuously, so I barely noticed
the new login screen but it did look, in fact, pretty neat.

The one con I've noticed so far: The "slam your pointer into the
top-left corner of the screen to pull out the " habit that 11.04
instilled in me is no longer valid.

So far, so good. Nothing earth-shattering.

Simón

P.S.