[ubuntu-us-in] Ubuntu Media Server?

Kuroshi sjos0001 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 17:11:55 GMT 2010

Sorry, I don't know much about the CompTIA certifications, I haven't taken
one (but am considering it). However, I can tell you a bit about both XBMC
and Boxee, as I have a bit of experience with both. XBMC in particular
supports the mythbackend if you're willing to put a bit of time into it, so
you can still have DVR and TV capabilities with a decent front end
(mythfrontend, quite frankly, is awful). Beware though, it's not quite as
efficient as mythfrontend, and some features you would have in mythfrontend
you won't have in xbmc, or they won't be implemented well. MythWeb helps a
bit to alleviate this if you don't mind using it, but it's not quite as nice
as mythtv.

Personally, if I didn't need the TV and DVR built in, I would just go with
boxee. It looks nicer and is much more user-friendly IMO then vanilla XBMC.
It's also really easy to make apps for, if you're into that sort of thing.