[ubuntu-us-in] hard drive tools* ssh ftp suggestions

Simón Ruiz simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:05:09 BST 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Nate Dobbs <misconfiguration at gmail.com> wrote:
> This scenario is why I can't stress the usage of RAID enough.

RAID NOT 0.

I'm working on recovering data from a failed RAID 0 array just using
the direct disk copier dd and some Python scripting to de-interlace
the data (I'm hopeful, but the teacher who brought the drives in knows
not to expect miracles). There was only one failed sector on one of
the disks, and the whole array was borked.

RAID 0 (i.e. striping) provides no redundancy whatsoever, it's only
meant to make big, high-bandwidth disks.

RAID 1 (i.e. mirroring) and 5 makes it so any one disk can fail and
all your data is safe.

I dunno much more about RAID than that. ;-D

Simón