[ubuntu-us-in] hard drive tools* ssh ftp suggestions

Simón Ruiz simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com
Thu May 1 11:54:41 BST 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 4:08 AM, justin sullivan
<j.p.sullivan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> hey does anyone know of any good check disk programs for  ubuntu, my hard drive is failing and i need to make a backup.  ive used keep and simple backup config thus far. ive tried to use ssh to copy the  disk image  to my other computer, using ftp but i cant seem to get it to work... any helpful suggestion anyone?!

Hello Justin,

Interesting you should ask. :-) I'm working on recovering data from a
RAID 0 array where one drive has one bad sector.

It's not exactly easy thus far.

Anyhow, so if your hard drive is failing physically, nothing you do on
the software side will prevent it. The best thing you can do is get
all your data off it and replace the physical hard disk.

If it's still functional enough that you can read the filesystem, you
could simply copy all the files off through sftp (secure file transfer
protocol) (via the "scp" command on the command line, or through
GNOME's file browser), which uses ssh (secure shell).

However, you're saying you can't seem to get ssh to work; what have
you tried and what results have you gotten?

Let me describe how I'd go about it:

If I want to transfer files from computera to computerb while avoiding
the command line, I sit down at computera, bring up a file browser
window (I usually just go to Places -> Home Folder to bring one up),
and in the location bar I type
"ssh://username@computerb/home/username" to bring up a window of
/home/username on computerb (with username's permissions). It will ask
for a password unless you've set up SSH keys.

Incidentally, computerb in this scenario must have the
"openssh-server" package installed for this to work as expected.

I hope this has been helpful!

Simón