[ubuntu-us-in] 8.04 and Intel wireless issues. Ganging up.

Michael Schultheiss schultmc at cinlug.org
Fri Mar 28 16:10:32 GMT 2008

Robert Freeman-Day wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude D630 with the Intel wireless chip 3945 installed.
>  The previous drivers have been deprecated and will not be in Hardy
> (http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/).  I have been playing with the Beta of
> Hardy which uses the next generation of drivers
> (http://intellinuxwireless.org/) and am getting issues with (for sure)
> wireless B networks and inconsistent results otherwise.  I stumbled on a
> bug report in Launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/200064)
> that matches what I am getting and have talked with some kind people in
> #ubuntu-bugs who maybe will assist with this.
>
> This may be a good time to leverage the Local Community Team in
> verifying and possibly squashing this one.  What are all of your
> thoughts on this?  Or, if you have an intel wireless chip and you are
> willing to play about with 8.04, are you willing to duplicate and assist?

I've got the same/similar laptop - I'll try it out on my G routers and
see if I can duplicate the issue.

> How would we like to approach similar issues in the future?  I think
> these types of things are reasons LoCos exist...gang up on bugs, etc.

Some other LoCos have had Bug Squashing Parties.  I think it'd be great
to serve as a local support option for Indiana Ubuntu users.  We've done
some support on the mailing list and in the forums but I think we could
definitely raise our profile.