[ubuntu-us-in] Another Reason to love Open Source

Jason Corfman computers at corfyscorner.com
Fri Jan 18 19:33:15 GMT 2008

That is a good point about the software models. However, there is a side
point that you missed.

With free software, if the software is "half-baked" upon release, you
wait a few weeks or months and get the next version for free and try it.
Usually, it will improve over that time (whether it has improved enough
or not is up for debate). With proprietary software, which may cost
hundreds of dollars or more, if the final product is "half-baked"
(coughVISTAcough), you wait two to five years and spend hundreds of
dollars more to get the next version.

If I have to wait 5 years for an updated software program and pay
upwards of $400 for the updated version, I expect it not only to be
better than the version before it, but to also have fewer headaches with
it than with a similar program that I didn't pay anything for .
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), many
times that has not been the case.

One of the things that made me switch to Linux was the realization that
XP just wasn't doing what I needed it to do. Regular defrags, regular
virus scans, regular adware/spyware scans, strong firewall, disk check
scans, seemingly constant updates that require restarts, and yearly
reinstall of the OS just to make it run better, and there were still
problems that were hard to diagnose and/or track down. Ok, so I had
troubles installing Linux for the first time that took me nearly two
weeks to work through (part of that was my fault for being a newb and
not knowing any better, part of that I blame on the distro, which I
don't use anymore), and on one laptop I installed it on, I had trouble
getting the wireless card to work (finally got it working, though, but I
don't have that laptop anymore... the other two laptops I installed it
on went without a hitch). Other than that, I have had zero problems with
Linux. I definitely cannot say the same about XP.

Jason "Corfy" Corfman