[ubuntu-us-in] Thoughts on linux class

Simón Ruiz simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 16:47:01 GMT 2008

I second this, and suggest a refinement to "common tasks YOUR AUDIENCE does".

Some people need to be shown how to use OpenOffice and Firefox, some
people will merely need to be told "And under the 'Applications' menu,
you can find your applications, like OpenOffice and Firefox. Now, onto
to the really interesting stuff...".

You mentioned on the forums that you intend to cover the command-line,
and even go into compiling programs from source. If they want to learn
the command-line, go for it, though maybe save compiling from source
until they're comfortable with the command-line basics. BASH is quite
different from the DOS prompt, like comparing a chainsaw with a bread
knife. So maybe they should get their bearings with chainsaw handling
and safety considerations before you have them cut something with it.

HOWEVER, you know them better than us, their interests and
aspirations, what they REALLY want to get out of Ubuntu, so take our
advice in context.

Hope you have an AWESOME class, and I look forward to the flood of new
members! ;-)

Simón