[ubuntu-us-in] Indiana Linux-spotting

Simón Ruiz simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:35:28 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Michael Schultheiss <schultmc at cinlug.org> wrote:
> Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>>     And I was told a year-or-two ago that the Indiana High Schools were
>> all going Linux, but were starting (for some reason) in South Bend.
>> That's the last I've heard.
>
> http://www.doe.in.gov/inaccess/
>
> Simón Ruiz, co-founder of the Indiana LoCo team, was involved in the
> Indiana ACCESS program when he worked at a high school in Bloomington.

Indeed, and I've keep myself "in the loop" even while working at a
private school in Fort Wayne.

The Open Minds Open Source in K-12 conference that I announced on here
is put on by the same Indiana Department of Education folks that work
so hard to make the inACCESS program a success.

The inACCESS program is still growing and expanding. It's primarily
aimed at bringing our schools up to a 1:1 ratio of computers to
students by facilitating (through grants) the creation of 1:1
classrooms (primarily in Language Arts (English) classrooms, for now),
running Linux.

>>     Does anyone have anything more?

Well, the Open Minds conference itself is pretty important, helping
cross-pollinate information, ideas, and strategies between those of us
working with Open Source Software in K-12 environments around the
world. This year we had people come from places as varied as Japan,
Brazil, and Spain.

Simón