[ubuntu-us-in] May I ask your adice and assistance???

Simón Ruiz simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 21:16:19 BST 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 11:33 PM, Robert Martz <robert at martz.us> wrote:
> If you were running a dual boot, then uninstalled Ubuntu, you will have to
> recreate the MBR (Master Boot Record). I had to do the same for mine. Basic
> steps to recreate the MBR in XP is:
> Boot with the Win XP CD
> Hit R for repair when the Windows Setup starts up.
> Select the WIndows install most likely c:/Windows
> When you get a DOS prompt, type FIXMBR.
> Reboot.

Robert,

Quite right, in a normal dual-boot situation. :-)

I believe that John means he installed it using the Windows Ubuntu
Installer (Wubi), though, from him saying he installed Ubuntu "as a
program within Windows". As I understand it, this install Ubuntu
directly under the Windows partition, and modifies Windows' own
bootloader, rather than installing GRUB into the MBR the way a "real"
install does.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view ;-) ),
I have almost 0 experience with the Wubi Installer, so I can only
point him to the Wubi guide.

Simón