[ubuntu-us-in] Notes from 2007-09-10 Indiana LoCo team meeting

Nate Dobbs misconfiguration at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 19:40:45 BST 2007

My excuse is travel,

I'm in Chicago for the week and unable to get internet access at-will. I
don't understand why the Hilton charges $10 a day for internet access, so I
just wait until I make it in to my AIX training course to get online. Sorry
for missing again everyone, I'll be at Ohio Linux Fest, and I'm ordering my
T-shirt once I get back from Chicago (Friday Sept 14th).

On 9/12/07, Jason Corfman <computers at corfyscorner.com> wrote:

> I apologize for missing the meeting the other night, but I have a good
> excuse. A friend of mine picked up a used computer from his local
> library the other day. It was a decent system for $20 (2.4 Ghz Pentium
> 4, 512 MB memory, 40 GB harddrive), but it didn't have an operating
> system. So he asked me over Monday to install Linux on it while we
> watched the big football game (Who Dey!). He had heard me talk about
> Linux for years and finally had the opportunity to try it out for
> himself on his own system. So he is now running K/Ubuntu 7.04 as his
> second computer. So far, he likes what he sees (although he would be
> happier if the system had a sound card and a DVD drive, but that is a
> hardware issue, not a software issue, and he can't complain too loudly
> for $20).
>
> So my excuse for missing an Ubuntu users meeting was I was installing
> Ubuntu for at least one new Linux user (I don't know whether his wife
> and son will touch the system or not, but I know he will).
>
> Jason Corfman
>
> Robert Freeman-Day wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> > Thanks for posting the synopsis.  I was not able to attend and have
> > not posted to the forums much (yet).  Thank you for keeping us all in
> > the loop.
> >
> > Robert
> >
> > On 9/11/07, Michael Schultheiss <schultmc at cinlug.org> wrote:
> >
> >> The Indiana LoCo team [1] held its sixth monthly meeting in
> >> #ubuntu-indiana on irc.freenode.net on 2007-09-10 at 8:00 PM EDT.  8
> >> team members participated in the meeting.
> >>
> >> Several LoCo team members are planning on attending the Ohio Linux
> >> Fest[2] in Columbus, OH on Saturday, September 29, 2007.  Carpools and
> >> in person meetups are being planned.  We're thinking of getting
> together
> >> for lunch at the conference on Saturday.  Additional meetups are also
> >> being considered by people who will be in Columbus longer.  Our team
> >> logo was approved by the Ubuntu Trademark Committee and team
> merchandise
> >> (T-shirts and a Polo shirt at the moment) are available from our
> >> CafePress store [3].  Team members are encouraged to wear a team
> T-shirt
> >> at Ohio Linux Fest to make meetups easier.
> >>
> >> The next release of Ubuntu, Gutsy Gibbon, is scheduled to be released
> on
> >> Thursday, October 18, 2007.  The Indiana LoCo team is planning a
> Release
> >> Party for Saturday, October 20, 2007.  Our current plan is to have a
> >> group dinner at a restaurant in Indianapolis.  The Claddagh Irish
> >> Pub [4] was mentioned as a possible location.  The finalized location
> >> will be decided on the mailing list or forums.  Stay tuned for updates!
> >>
> >> We adjourned at ~9:00 PM EDT.  Further discussion is welcome on the
> >> mailing list or forums.
> >>
> >> If you're interested, a log [5] of the meeting is available.  The
> [...]

Cheers,

Nate Dobbs