[ubuntu-us-in] Time for a change

Dave Cooley dcooley at kiva.net
Mon Nov 19 03:19:47 GMT 2007

I'm not a programmer by trade, I'm a sysadmin; that's just a disclosure,
in case it colors my suggestions.  I do, however, work with several
programmers (who are my users).

I suggest Python.  It's what we mostly use at our software house.  I can
actually understand the programmers' code, which is nice.  It's also a
no-brainer when I need to move websites and/or applications between
Windows and Linux (yeah, I use Ubuntu in our racks) servers.  We use
python because we can produce working (mostly web-based) applications
much faster than our competitors can, whenever our clients ask for
custom applications (which is often).

Also:
I was speaking with an IU Comp. Sci. prof awhile back (don't remember
his name) who was telling me how much he loves python, but (so far)
hasn't been able to get the university to change to teaching their
first-year CS students python instead of java.

Cooley

Dave Cooley
dcooley at kiva.net