[ubuntu-us-in] Time for a change

Nate Dobbs misconfiguration at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 01:56:15 GMT 2007

Ruby on rails is a web application sort of programming

Perl is something you'd want to get into if you want to be a *nix power
user. Instead of learning to script bash / ksh or csh you can just learn
Perl and use the language for your systems administrative tasks, automating
process' etc.

C is more low level, it's used for actual system applications and programs,
it's a compiled language and runs very efficient with proper programming
practices.

Perl is interpreted so there is a bit of overhead with large applications
but on today's machines and common admin tasks you see little effect.

So if you're wanting to be a *nix admin, go with Perl, it's importable over
MANY other systems, think of it as your 'universal' scripting language.

Perl resources:

History
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_programming_language

CPAN
http://www.cpan.org/

Perl Monks
http://www.perlmonks.org/

On Nov 17, 2007 5:48 PM, Daniel Dunn <dan.dunn.16.62 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Nate. This action is not a totally selfless. I
> also want to learn some common programming languages so that someday
> I will have a strong enough background to move to our Unix team at
> work.  I guess my next question would be... What languages are used
> for what? When would i use Ruby with Rails? when would i use Python?
> when would I use Pearl or C#? I am looking for the most bang for my
> buck to get started, then I plan on learning some of the more obscure
> or specialized languages.
>
> On Nov 18, 2007 4:41 PM, Nate Dobbs <misconfiguration at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Depends on how much you want to learn I suppose.
> >
> > I program Perl and C on a pretty regular basis they would be my personal
> > choice.
> >
> > Another determining factor is *what* you'd like to program, have a look
> at
> > Python and Ruby with Rails, lots of tutorials and documentation freely
> > available.
> >

> > On Nov 17, 2007 4:08 PM, Daniel Dunn <dan.dunn.16.62 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > In my busy schedule of work, being a father, being a husband, and
> > > trying to let people know about Ubuntu, I have decided to learn a
> > > programming language. I learned VB in highschool, and i have dabbled
> > > with different languages since then, but not hing serious. I was
> > > wondering from the "Experts" what language would be a good start? I
> > > would love to give back to the Ubuntu community by helping to code and
> > > debug projects. I had been thinking about C#, but any recommendations
> > > would be helpful.
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > --
> > Cheers,