wireless network

Phillip Tarrant ptarrant at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 03:36:46 GMT 2009

if your having a hard time finding your ISP's DNS.
You can use OpenDNS servers:
208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Kevin Fishburne <
kevinfishburne at eightvirtues.com> wrote:

>  Nick Ali wrote:
>
> I have a windows based wireless network and I am quite new to Ubuntu
> \Linux environment.
> I have a wired router serving a wireless router.
> Wondows works fine - finds and connects to the wireless router and
> connects to shares and Net.
> Ubuntu does not- and I suspect it might be a DNS issue since the machine
> 'appears' to connect to the router, but ifconfig shows a bizarre
> unidentifiable ip in an unknown 10.x.x.x network, when my networks are
> all public with 192.168.x.x DHCP address.
>

>  Is Ubuntu running on bare metal or was it installed as a virtual machine
> using something like VirtualBox or VMWare? If it is only DNS, try opening a
> terminal in Ubuntu (Applications, Accessories, Terminal) and entering the
> command:
>
> ping 173.15.223.130
>
> If you get replies then it probably is just DNS. You can edit
> /etc/resolv.conf to manually enter DNS servers if necessary. My Comcast
> DNS for example looks like this (the resolv.conf file):
>
> nameserver 68.87.74.162
> nameserver 68.87.68.162
>
> You can edit and save the file as root (administrator) by issuing the
> command:
>
> sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
>
> If you don't know your ISP's DNS servers they should be listed in the main
> router's web interface, probably under "network status" or something to that
> effect.
>
>   Kevin Fishburne
>     Eight Virtues
>     www:
> e-mail:
> phone:  http://www.eightvirtues.com
>  sales at eightvirtues.com
>  (770) 853-6271

Thanks,
Phillip Tarrant

>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE <<<
This electronic mail message, including any and/or all attachments, is for
the sole use
of the intended recipient(s), and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information,
pertaining to business conducted under the direction and supervision of
Phillip J Tarrant.
Unauthorized interception, review, use, disclosure or distribution of any
such information
contained within this electronic mail message and/or its attachment(s),
is(are) strictly
by replying
to this electronic mail message, along with the destruction of all copies
and
originals of the original electronic mail message (along with any
attachments).