My questions

Phillip Tarrant ptarrant at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 21:33:39 GMT 2009

if you wanted to you could also dump the network manager and simply edit the
following files in your terminal

*these are semi-advanced* you don't HAVE to do these, but if you don't want
the network manager you can follow the following.

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
you should see a line similar to the following (if you don't it goes at the
end of the file)

eth0 auto
iface eth0 inet DHCP

(optionally that could be static instead of DHCP and you could use these
lines)
eth0 auto
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.100 (or whatever)
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254 (or whatever)
broadcast 192.168.1.255

then you can try these settings by doing

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

see if you can ping google.com (since your already in term)
if so you got internet :)

i got rid of the network manager awhile back due to it causing issues with
my system (those should be fixed in jaunty)

best of luck to you!
Phil

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Joshua Chase <joshua.d.chase at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Eliott, yes, you can do this very easily. If you have an Ubuntu Install
> cd, you can install it using the cd as your repository.
>
> Click on  System > Administration > Software Sources
>
> Deselect every repo, and then select the Ubuntu Cd at the bototm, this of
> course after you have inserted the cd.
>
> Then just open a terminal, or you can use "synaptic package manger" and
> reinstall network manager
>
> apt-get install network-manager-gnome
>
> Hopefully this helps you out, if not, just reply and we will help you out!
>
> Josh
> http://linuxcrypt.net
> http://ubuntupodcast.net
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Eliott Turner <EliottTurner at hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  While working with the synaptic manager, I MANAGED to uninstalled the
>> network manager. Now I am unable to connect to the internet.
>>
>> Is there some way I can re-install the network manager without connecting
>> to the internet?
>>
>> Can I download the network manager and then install it? I can still
>> connect to internet using Vista and Vector Linux.
>>
>> Has anyone been able to connect to the internet using the terminal?
>> I always get "persistent data base is sleeping."
>>
>> And finally if re-installation is the only option, can anyone comment
>> Ubuntu 9.04? I have a beta copy that I am interested in looking.
>>
>> And thanks for everyone's help in advance
>>
>> eliott
>>
>> --

> -Joshua Chase
> http://ubuntupodcast.net
> http://linuxcrypt.net

Thanks,
Phillip Tarrant

>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE <<<
This electronic mail message, including any and/or all attachments, is for
the sole use
of the intended recipient(s), and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information,
pertaining to business conducted under the direction and supervision of
Phillip J Tarrant.
Unauthorized interception, review, use, disclosure or distribution of any
such information
contained within this electronic mail message and/or its attachment(s),
is(are) strictly
by replying
to this electronic mail message, along with the destruction of all copies
and
originals of the original electronic mail message (along with any
attachments).