Jaunty Installfest

Nick Ali nali at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 4 15:50:31 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:47 PM, David Tomaschik <david at tuxteam.com> wrote:
> As silly as it may seem, perhaps better defining our target audience for
> the Installfests would make it easier to advertise.  Are we trying to
> get people who have never used Linux before?  Probably.  How do we sell
> it to them?  Why take a Saturday to come to some meeting and put Linux
> on your computer?  (I have some thoughts on effective ways to sell Linux
> to home users, but how to get the message out is another story.)  Are we
> trying to get experienced Linux users to come together and discuss
> Ubuntu and other aspects of Linux?  Probably as well, but that's a very
> different set of selling points.

The focus for the install fests should be new users and trying to get
them set up with Ubuntu. How to get new people to come has always been
the challenge. Is it enough to just put up posters? Or do we need to
do some legwork beforehand? Like doing presentations and demos? And
then having them come to the install fests and actually trying to put
Ubuntu on their machines?

Experienced users are always welcome, but I think simply letting them
now that the install fests are happening is enough. If they want to
attend, they will attend.

nick

--

http://boredandblogging.com